The lovely Gabriele Neumann has been writing an interesting blog about her life, convictions and work as a young, female lobbyist in Reno, Nevada in her blog: Basically I’m Complicated. We found each other in the blogosphere because she is from the Ann Arbor area, and she’s offered great insight and advice on things I should do here. She’s been a bit of a lifeline, and I appreciate knowing that she’s following my blog and chiming in, sort of like an all-knowing fairy whose unseen presence is comforting. Even though we’ve never met, she was also nice enough to nominate me for this Liebster Award.
The what?!?! Apparently the world of bloggers is filled with various awards that bloggers can bestow upon one another. Who knew? I was just keeping track of my who, what, where with this blog!
So as far as I can tell, the Liebster Award is presented to newer bloggers with fewer than 200 followers (thank you to my wonderful and generous followers 🙂 ), and while exciting to be recognized by our peers, it’s also an opportunity to promote new blogs and hopefully link up with new folks. So onto the rules of the award (because it’s not a “no strings attached” kinda thing):
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog. (Check – thank you Gabriele)
2. You must answer the 10 questions given to you by the nominee before you. (See below)
3. Nominate 10 of your favorite blogs with fewer than 200 followers and notify them of their nomination. (Okay, here’s the tricky part: most of the other blogs I follow either have more than 200 followers, or I don’t know how many followers they have because it’s not posted on their sites. I don’t want to be disingenuous and troll for blogs with fewer than 200 followers just to fulfill the 10 recommendations requirement, so I’m going to only give 5 blog recommendations, and these are truly 5 blogs that I actually read. Additionally, to those 5 bloggers: not all of you have posted how many followers you have, so I apologize if you have like 2,000 followers and I’m nominating you for this under 200 award. I actually hope you all have tons and tons of followers because your blogs are great, and I also hope I haven’t offended you with this award if you do. Five blogs I follow listed below below.)
4. Come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer. (See below below below)
Gabriele’s questions for me:
1. If you could only to listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be and why? Yes, “Best Of” albums are acceptable, but bonus points for actual albums!
Oh man, that’s so difficult since I DO love listening to albums on repeat, but the album will change depending on my mood. I guess I’d have to say Dixie Chicks “Fly” which has been in my car’s tape deck (yes my car’s so old it doesn’t have a CD player) for 10 years. And now that my radio/tape deck doesn’t work, it will be forever stuck in there until she goes to the junk yard. Luckily I also own the CD 🙂 I think the “why” part of the question can only be answered as “because it’s the only thing I’d be able to stand for the rest of my life” no matter what you choose.
2. If you could never have to eat or even see one food again, what would it be and why?
Mayonnaise (and its “thought-you-could-trick-me-with-the-name” not-so-cleverly-disguised-sibling, aioli). As I’ve explained to many people, I’m not a fan of creamy food that makes a weird smacking noise on the roof of your mouth. Shudder.
3. If you could ban one fashion trend, what would it be and why?
Pleated pants, not that this is much of a current trend. No matter how skinny you are, they make you look like you have a weird pouffy belly/groin area. Nobody wants that.
4. If you could learn a language you don’t already know, which one would it be and why?
I’m actually trying to learn Spanish on DVD/CD at the moment because it would be so helpful in so many countries, including our own. I’d also love to learn Italian because it’s so beautiful; unfortunately not quite as practical.
5. What is your least favorite quality about yourself and why?
I’m impatient which can sometimes lead to snapping at people. (Paraphrased quote from my sister: “It wouldn’t be a family vacation without a Hannah meltdown.” LOL oops, sorry.) I think it’s self-explanatory why that’s my least favorite quality.
6. What is your proudest accomplishment in the past year?
Starting this blog has been a big part of my life over the past six months, and I’m glad to have stuck with it.
7. What are you really excited about that’s coming up in 2014?
Getting married!!!!!!! (And going to Paris as a close second.)
8. Who (or what) do you think is really overrated?
Twitter. That’s probably blasphemous to say in the digital age, but do real people really use this, or is just for marketing and PR? I confess I started a Twitter account years ago, but I haven’t checked it since it got blocked at work (circa 2008), and I never actually tweeted anything, just followed ESPN and The Wall Street Journal. Additionally, I’m over having 45 different social media apps I need to constantly check.
9. You get a free one week trip for two to anywhere in the world! Where do you go and who do you take with you?
I’ve always wanted to go to the Maldives or Seychelles with my fiance, however I’m not sure a week would be enough time given how far away they are.
10. If you could be best friends with a fictional character, which one would it be and why?
Hm, the problem with fictional characters is that they are inherently way too self-involved, but if I had to choose one, it would be Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) from Parks and Recreation. Leslie is the Deputy of the Pawnee, Indiana, Parks Department, and her incredible enthusiasm for public service and for her friends is endearing. She makes government work look fun…to the point that I may have googled Parks Department jobs in Ann Arbor…just to see. 🙂
My five blog nominations:
And my questions for these bloggers (I’m only doing 5 questions for 5 bloggers):
1. What was the best meal you’ve had recently and where was it?
2. What’s your beverage of choice?
3. What was the last book you read? What was it about and would you recommend it?
4. What is something you enjoy but are embarrassed to tell people that you enjoy?
5. If you had to give up either cheese or chocolate, which would it be and why?
Have fun exploring new blogs!